Saturday, August 6, 2016

Brazil Olympics

Wow, what an amazing show last night! Unfortunately I didn't stay awake until the end. Fell asleep towards the end of the athletes entering the arena. But what I saw was amazing! They did a great job portraying the history of Brazil. From the beginning of life all the way through the different types of music.

Now for the confusion from an American. Not me, but what I saw from fellow American's this morning on Facebook. First was the statement that Brazil was 1st in airplane flight...did the Wright brothers do it? Or was it a Brazilian that was the first in flight. I have no idea! For me I don't really care and I'm sure there were a lot more at the time trying to figure this out. I think they roughly did it around the same time. I am pretty sure North Carolina will still keep their First in Flight car license plates. Well it will still remain a mystery who it was!

Next was the Alphabetic order of athletes entering the arena. It was the Portuguese alphabet! They spell the countries names a little different. For example the United States of America is Estados Unidos da America. When asked where I'm from, I say Estados Unidos...sometimes. Usually its obvious I am American and I say the state I am from. Another is Kyrgyzstan, which is Quirguistao. When they announced and walked in I had to take a second look. For my point of view. they should announce and enter in the language of the host country, like they did. And announce and show in English after that. So not a big deal!

Both of these issues are very funny too me! I think the most important thing for these games is the safety of athletes, people who work the events and the people who attend the games. Next is the image of how beautiful Brazil is to promote tourism. Yes its not perfect here, but I challenge you to visit Detroit...then you will realize every country has its problem areas. The media, especially from my home country has been brutal. For all the stories I have seen, its been very negative stories. But look at the times we are in. The American media is very biased...more towards the left at the moment.

I wish we could of attended the games but at the moment we are unable to. Watching it on TV is better because you get to see up close. We are just missing the experience and feeling of pride from all the people attending and cheering on their country of origin or newly adopted countries. Although I am American, I do find myself cheering on the Brazilian teams also.

Well thanks for reading!    

     

No comments:

Post a Comment