Sunday, August 21, 2016

Brazil Olympics

What a huge success, the Olympics were completed in a magnificent way. I know, the closing ceremony is tonight so technically not finished yet. But I couldn't wait to write about how well Brazil pulled this off. The horrible publicity before the games, showing Olympic village not competed, water leaks, etc... to the condition on the water in the bay with floating garbage to talk of possible dead bodies in the water. I didn't see any of this and it seems they completed and cleaned up just in time to show the beauty of RIO! Well what I've seen on TV, still need to visit sometime in the near future.

I spent most of my spare time watching the games on TV. Haven't seen all of the events but did dedicate myself to most of the swimming events, track stuff and volleyball (indoor/beach). Although some of the events were not full on fan participation the professionalism the organizers put in to it was amazing. I'm an attention to detail type of guy, so I notice the behind the scenes stuff the majority of fans don't on TV. Like the lady that would usher the swimmers around the pool after winning events for photos and then get them to stand together to receive medals. Always on the fringe of the TV and very professional.

I'm sad to see it go, the pride Brazil got from not only holding the World Cup but now the Olympics was extremely well needed! Brazilians are very proud people, even with the current economical and political drama they get really excited about anything sports related. Especially the soccer match last night between Brazil and Germany. What an intense game that came down to a shoot out. After they won I heard fireworks throughout the town. It was spectacular that even though I am 14 hour drive away the celebration was here in the streets. Unbelievable! Today the indoor volleyball game between Brazil and Italy was extremely exciting. No fireworks but my house was really into it. Come on, we all know Futebol is more important to this country!

Now, I will end with the drama of the American Swim team. Claiming robbery but ended up they were intoxicated and broke a bathroom door which now turns out to be just a sign was ripped off the wall at a gas station. Then got in an argument with a security guard and caused a mess of a situation. Ended up paying some money and being left go to walk down the street to get another cab. I'm embarrassed that this covered the news and took away from the athletes who were still competing. I know the two left behind, paid their way out within the legal system but the other two need to do the same. Its a large fine but its the legal system here and its true they lied. So pay up and move on. I don't want Brazilians to think badly of Americans, because lately it seems it ok for famous people to break the law and not pay the consequences. Hell look at Hillary Clinton for a great example of this, she clearly broke the law.

Well now I wait another couple of hours for the closing ceremony! I hope its epic and ends the games on a great show of this spectacular nation. Although I am American, I am adapting and absolutely loving Brazil. Such a warm and friendly country! So social and outgoing that makes this such an enjoyable place to live. I'm proud to be an American and Brazilian at the same time!    

No comments:

Post a Comment