Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Brazil WhatsApp....

WhatsApp is really the most important way to message here and its now shutdown indefinitely. Supposedly it has to do with the surrender of data involving some legal cases and due to legal secrecy they can not tell us. This is the third time they have blocked it since I've been here. Maybe it does...maybe it doesn't have anything to do with some data.

I honestly think it has to do with no one using text messaging. No one here texts because it costs money or is expensive to have a text plan. In my whole time here, I have not had anyone text me...except for my wife earlier today to say WhatsApp is down. That's a lot of money the 5 wireless carriers here are missing out on. So I'm pretty sure they keep pushing to get this very useful and easy messaging App permanently blocked. Well we will see!

Right now this is having an impact on the economy. I actually order beer to be delivered to my house by WhatsApp. Doesn't cost extra and it keeps me returning to the same business. I know a lot of businesses use it to make deals and a lot of times you can see the little logo on advertisements for you to contact them that way. Hell, the pharmacy takes orders this way! They also deliver...if only we had this in America.

Well as the bureaucracy wheels slowly turn here and I'm without messaging for a few days. I'm actually glad it is during the week, so my social life doesn't take a hit this weekend...hopefully!



  

1 comment: