Monday, December 5, 2016

The birds of paradise!



Where I live in Brazil we have these odd birds named Ema's (Emu). I'm not sure how many there are in our neighborhood, but there is a bunch of them. They are scavengers, will eat just about anything from baby snakes to discarded leftover french fries. It must work, I have never seen a snake here. They normally don't bother anyone and usually only thing they damage is small shrubs. I am grateful to have something that wanders around and eats junk that would otherwise attract unwanted animals and bugs. One interesting fact I have learned about the Emu is that the dad's sit on the eggs and then raise the babies once they hatch. In three of the pictures attached you can see the little ones. Also, each male has three to five females...not sure if this is a good thing or not. They are not native of Brazil, but are a great thing to have around.

Not sure if you can eat them or not.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment