Thursday, January 26, 2017

Electric power and the demise of an ancient electronic...

The electricity here in Brazil is odd at times. Not talking about the weird thing of having two different voltages throughout the country (110/220). My topic is the weird fact that the power will turn off at weird times for no reason and come back on just barely. Usually it happens once every two months and there isn't a cloud in the sky. It's the amperes part of the electricity. Yeah the lights will work but no appliances will.

For example, we had a very powerful tropical storm last Saturday that actually flooded the front part of our house, but luckily I was here to use this broom type thing to keep pushing the water out the front door. It was so intense that we had a roof leak in our livingroom and a bedroom. Our roof is a typical roof here, but not built to withstand a hard rain or for that matter a long steady rain. I consider it a very poor design. With this crazy storm the power went off a couple times, but always came back on with no problems at all.

So Sunday night I hear the noise that announces, hey the power just went off and came back on. It's our ancient printer for the computer. This printer turns on and does a test with every flicker of the electricity. You know the test of moving all its internal parts around and making the typical printer noises from the 1990's. Yes, that's it! It's very possible that this printer is actually older than our 9 year old son. The printer still works very well and I don't mind its ancient ways of sometimes only printing when it wants too or the fact it only works with an old laptop computer. Its temperamental at times I guess, but I don't have the heart to let it go.

Well this noise happened sometime early Sunday morning and it made me roll over in bed. Not a big deal and it's nice to actually get a heads up that the power is back on now. Usually when this happens I venture into my office and turn the printer back off. Well that morning the printer was off, but the lights in the house worked. I knew then there was a problem with the electricity. Went into the kitchen to find the refrigerator not working, well one light inside worked. Next, I turned on the coffee maker and the "on" light works just barely, but it not powerful enough to pump the water.

So unfortunately the printer couldn't handle the off and on of the past few days of power and has since gone to the electronics heaven. We are currently in the process of searching for a worthy replacement. Its sad times in our household...well for me it is. I think my wife could care less! I will sleep a little less assured now with this ancient electronic not warning me of potential problems.

I will make sure to disconnect the next printer when not in use. It was attached to a power strip with protection, but didn't work. Perhaps old age finally got this ancient relic. I think this is great advice to anyone living in Brazil. Disconnect any unused devices to prevent loss.                   

No comments:

Post a Comment